Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Running log, Wednesday

Tonight's run was a rematch with the Tyler Komen 5k course. My husband and I walked over to Bergfeld Park as the sun was setting, making it considerably cooler than Monday.  Two things were different tonight. First, I tried to keep a more moderate pace from the get-go (about the bpm of Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now"). Second,  we alternated between running and walking during the first half of the course instead of waiting until the end. It started out run 5/walk 3, but in the second half we shortened the walk break to two minutes and then ran the last 11. I was really happy with my breathing, didn't have any issues with my recurring side pain, and minimum discomfort in my joints (mostly ankles/feet). Although I attribute some of the joint pain to my body adjusting to road running, I mostly blame my hormones. I'm supposed to make an appointment soon with a rheumatologists to get checked out for arthritis (or some other systemic inflammation).  We definitely pushed to the end, and it was a really great triumphant feeling. Finish time was 42 minutes (running and walking combined), which is as good as any time I've run the 5k distance before. I'm actually pretty encouraged by that. My goal for Saturday is primarily to finish the race and maintain my pacing, but I SECRETLY want to break 40 minutes. So, we'll see. Sunday, I'll post my workout plan for next week. I expect we'll be jumping into week 6 of the Couch to 5k program from coolrunning.com, and we just might find a way to sneak in some yoga/pilates classes so I don't have to strike up ridiculous poses in my living room.

UPDATE:
I couldn't respond via comment, so I thought I'd update this blog post with the answer instead.
I'm running the Komen Tyler race for the cure, a 5k. Today's the last day to register at Brookshire's on Rice Road, by or before 7:00pm. You can also register and pick up your race kit tomorrow morning at 6:30am. The race starts at 8:00 for timed and 8:10 for untimed runners.

(http://www.komentyler.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/)

1 comment:

  1. Very cool and congrats! Which race are you doing on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete