Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Monday run

Found a great video on of the UT Tyler trails where we run. It's filmed on a mountain bike, but it gives a great preview of the trail nonetheless. I love this trail. Turns out its about 5 miles long in total, but it's not marked very well so I have no idea how far we actually run on Mondays and Wednesdays.



Monday's run (week 7 of the Cool Running Couch to 5k program) was a hard won success. The training schedule called for 25 minutes of "jogging" or 2.5 miles (we opted for 25 minutes). We typically run at about 11:00min/mile, so factoring in an extra minutes per mile due to the trails and temperature, I'm going to guess that we ran just over 2 miles.

Good news: Breathing was good and steady. We kept up an "ok" pace, although it flagged a bit around the 3/4 mark. I mentally dominated this run, although I had some initial doubts about my breathing.

Bad news: Last week, I noticed some pain in my right plantar fascia while running. It subsided by the next morning, but I was pretty spooked. This run definitely aggravated it again, although less acutely. I know plantar fascitis is a very common (and very frustrating) running injury. I've never experienced it before (I just need to try them all apparently). I'm going to try to preempt any long-term injury by incorporating some foot strengthening exercises and tendon stretches into my work day.

UP NEXT:
Wednesday's run is another 25 minutes. I'm taking the day off, so we won't be near the trails. This might be a great opportunity to run at Rose Rudman park.

1 comment:

  1. If you're experiencing symptoms of plantar fasciitis (an inflammation of the tendon on the bottom of your foot which commonly manifests as heel pain), here are some great stretches/exercises:

    Seated stretch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMosf1HBWg8
    Plantar stretch: http://bcove.me/mphecr11
    Arch Raisers: http://bcove.me/wone7z8h

    ReplyDelete