Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7, 2012: The day I decided, on a whim, to run a half marathon.

 So how did I get here, anyway?

An innocuous Facebook link from a friend: “Who’s with me on this if I sign up?” A half marathon, in my very own city, five months away. A distance I have dreamed about running since I stumbled through my first mile.

I have never run a distance anywhere close to 13.1k. I’m not even particularly good at running, period. As a child, I looked like a runner – long and lean, I was the fastest girl in fourth grade. But then puberty happened. Suddenly, I sucked at running, and I hated it. I was not “built” for it. I was an intellectual. Blah blah blah.

My adult relationship with running began when my husband and I started dating in 2008. He was one of those “runners”, a bizarre subgroup of people I never expected to understand – much less associate with. I started running to spend time with him. It was a miserable, painful, and discouraging experience overall; I would push through the initial agony of starting a running regimen, achieve a modicum of success, and then get set back by injury or illness (a pulled groin, strained hip flexor, fibroid pain, bronchitis).

In spite of all this, something kept bringing me back to running: that ephemeral “high” that runners talk about, eyes glazed and distant. It’s a feeling of freedom, potential, and childlike glee; of absolute purpose and orientation. It is a defiant howl against every voice that has ever told me I’m too fat, too lazy, too defeatist, too much of a victim. I have only experienced it as a fleeting echo, typically bookended by frustration and weariness. I am determined to unlock it for good – to become “a runner”. 

But why a half marathon, you loony?

I don't know. I have never run that far before. I think in my heart of hearts, I just want to know if I can do it... and the only way to make myself train for it is to sign up for a race.


Down to the nitty-gritty.


Over the course of this long halting journey, I have learned a few things about myself. 
  1. I am a social runner. I do best when I am running with other people. My husband is the ideal running partner. Fortunately for me, he has agreed to join me (somewhat skeptically) on this crazy venture. I'm also blessed with some running friends who are more boneheaded persistent than I am.
  2. I am injury prone. I have to progress really gradually, and I do best when I incorporate some kind of low intensity calisthenic strength training like yoga or Pilates. I hate weight training, but it may be necessary to stay safe and fit when my schedule does not allow for fitness classes.
  3. I need a goal, namely a race. This is the best way for me to “make” myself run, because I’m cheap and I flourish under structure. So, having a race marked on the calendar gives me both incentive and timeline. My first race was a Susan G. Komen 5k; since then, I have run two consecutive Warrior Dash races (we missed the third one, this past April, because I came down with a horrible case of bronchitis). It has basically come down to one race a year since I started running.
  4. I need a schedule. See number 3.
So, soon to follow... a couple of training plans I'm looking at, and all that jazz.


Past races

Susan Komen Race for the Cure (Tyler, Texas) 2009, North Texas Warrior Dash 2010, North Texas Warrior Dash 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment