Friday, May 11, 2012

Pre-Race blues: Looking ahead

Well, it's T-9 hours till race time and I'm getting ready to hit the hay about two hours earlier than normal for a Friday night. We registered, paid, and picked up our race packets today at Brookshire's. I laid out my shoes, a ballcap, and some colorful clothes to wear tomorrow ... can't forget the sunscreen.

A few things have me a bit bummed tonight. One is that my wrists and elbows feel pretty inflamed and painful today, maybe a 6.5 out of 10. It's probably a combination of my hormones, the weather (lots of rain rolled in tonight), and the fact that I practiced a Tom Waits song on the guitar for about 25 minutes. The good news is that my weight bearing joints feel pretty good (well above average) tonight, and I am optimistic about their performance tomorrow.

The other thing is that my husband doesn't enjoy races; he doesn't want to pay for the privilege of running. So, he's not really looking forward to tomorrow and he spent a bit of time this afternoon grumping about it. I love having him with me because he pushes me to perform better for longer, and he provides just the right combination of encouragement and distraction.  I should be grateful, I expect, that he's running these with me in spite of his disdain for them. I know he doesn't mean to demoralize me when he complains about various aspects of racing (the cost, the people, waking up early). I guess it would be worse if he just refused to go.

I don't think that running is particularly fun for him; he's more utilitarian about it. I hope one day we can reach a point where racing together IS actually fun, and where he gets as much out of running with me as I do with him. I don't know. 

The race is tomorrow morning. It should be nice and cool in the a.m., and I've got a good plan for the race. The secret goal is to break 40, and if I'm extra cute I might convince my husband to take me out for post-race pancakes. :) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment