Friday, June 29, 2012

Small victory and a good solid run

Well, I survived the dreaded belt test I mentioned in my last post. The main thing I learned is that I really do need to work on high-intensity aerobic conditioning. The running I have been doing does not help much in short (2 minute) high intensity sparring matches. Obviously it's better than doing no cardio/aerobic workouts, but I was definitely huffing a bit. For my rank, I had to spar two people in a row for about 1:30-2:00 minutes each. Doesn't sound like much, but it'll wear you out quick.

Anyway, Matt and I skipped out on celebratory ice cream to fit in the run we missed on Wednesday. We ran a 30 minute circuit near our house. Pace was about 11:57. If I look at my times for the last 5 30 minute runs (11:57, 12:49, 13:12, 10:49, 12:36) my average pace is 12:27. So, I feel like I can consistently run right around 12:30. It's a comfortable pace for me right now, but I don't want to get complacent and stay stuck there.

My goal for the Half Marathon is just to finish. For my running in general, I want to build a steady base and move towards a slightly quicker speed. My body feels most fluid (and least painful) at a pace between 9:30 and 10:30. Right now, my body isn't conditioned to run that pace for long... but I'll get there.

Aside from pace, Thursday's run went really well. I jabbered on non-stop for the first 13-14 minutes, mostly as a result of the lasting adrenaline from my belt test. I did try to push the pace a bit but I could probably do better. I wish we had been more intentional with our interval work, but I can always improve that next week.

The temperature was right at 90F (didn't see the heat index), so we're making really good training progress in the heat. If I'm lucky, October will be nice and cool! The average temperature for October 7, the day of the race, historically falls between 60F and 80F.  Because this is Texas, however, the temperature could be anywhere between 50F and 90F.

I experienced little to no pain during the run, which is incredible; just after 20 minutes, I had a recurrence of the side pain that has been plaguing me this week, but it was much milder than Tuesday and it passed very quickly. I'm really happy with my posture and attitude. My breathing returned to a normal level in less than 3 blocks from the end of our run. That's especially awesome to me, and a sign that I've made a lot of progress.

Saturday's run will be a 5-mile, eek! In the meantime, I'm reading through Gordon Piries' "Running Fast and Injury Free". You can find it for free online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment