Monday, June 11, 2012

Half Marathon training: Launch!

Today will mark the first run of the half marathon training schedule from Jeff Galloway. If you're new to the blog, I'm in the process of training for the Tyler Rose Half Marathon


I took a break last week to give my body time to recover from the Dallas anime convention (A-kon). I'm glad I made that decision, although I felt pretty restless last week on the days I normally ran.

Today's temperatures are projected at 96F, so we're probably going to wait until well into the evening to do our run. I managed to find a pdf of the Half Marathon course, which starts and ends near my neighborhood. I figure it's not a bad time to start familiarizing myself with the trail.

Here's a run down of this week's running schedule (comparing the original from Jeff Galloway with our modification, to accommodate my karate classes):

Original:
Week
Monday
Tuesday TT
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
1
off
30 min run
off
25 min run
easy walk
off
3 miles

Modified:
Week
Monday
TT
Tuesday 
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
1
30 min run
off
25 min run
off
easy walk
3 miles
off

The "TT" is an optional pace run. I'm not going to worry about that at this point. Today's run, then, is 30 minutes. With my handy map, I'll be able to get a rough estimate of how far we got and how quickly we were going.


I've had some sporadic issues with my joints last week and this one (it's a chronic issue that is exacerbated once a month). I'm expecting a bit of discomfort on today's run, but hopefully no outright pain.

Wish me luck, then!



No comments:

Post a Comment