Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"At least I don't have to run in Victorian garb"

Yesterday's run was a bit of a trial. It was 98 on the heat index when we left the house (at 9:00 pm, mind you), and I've been feeling like I'm coming down with some kind of respiratory thing for a few days. Also, because of the weather or hormones or something, my joints have been hurting a LOT lately. The big culprits are in my hands, feet, right knee, left hip, and right shoulder.

I got pretty discouraged and said something like, "Matt, I just don't think I'll ever reach a time in my life when working out is not painful and emotionally draining. I mean, sometimes there are other rewards but I'll just never be one of those people who loves to exercise for the sake of exercising." And, you know, he responded in the most honest way he could with something like, "Yep. You're probably right. But it's like work: you've got to do it".

The self-pity continued for a while. I was feeling really bummed and the threat of angry tears was rising with every step. Around the half way mark, I came to a sort of emotional crisis point, where I needed to turn my thoughts around or risk quitting right there.

So, as a mental/motivational exercise, I started listing off things I should be grateful for in the course of this lame unsatisfying run. Here is part of that list, with links and pictures.


  • At least I live in a time where I am ALLOWED to run this distance I'm training for. (Katherine Switzer in 1967 Boston Marathon)
  • And my doctor won't try to tell me that my uterus will fall out, that I'll grow a mustache, or that I'll age prematurely.
  • I live in a country where it is not illegal for me, as a woman, to exercise.
  •  I live in a neighborhood and country where I don't have to literally dodge bullets during practice runs.
  • I don't have to run against Olympic athletes while fasting.
  • I don't have to run in Victorian garb.
    Victorian Women Run to the Finish Line (1906)
  • Or in a hijab (I respect women who do so as a decision of personal faith and piety; I am extremely heat sensitive and would feel especially miserable).
    Jogging with a Veil
  • I don't have to run home from the market with groceries on my head.
    women running
  • Or run with a baby.
    LOVE Walk /Run for Breast Cancer Research
  • Or run from a bear.
    Texting Guy Running Away From A Bear [video]
  • I still have both legs, and I don't have to learn to run again after losing them.
    New York marathon, Nov 2011 - 02
  • My husband is not a super athletic jerk.

  • I don't have to deal with atrocious air pollution
  • I don't have to run on tundra or through deserts
  • I don't have to worry about landmines, or morality police
  • I don't have some kind of disorder which makes my bones fragile like glass, or prevents me from feeling when I'm injured. 
  • I don't have to run from militants or risk being raped or maimed when I go on practice runs. 
  • I don't have to worry about being mistaken for a robber and shot in gentrified neighborhoods.
  • I don't have to run to entertain my corporate overlords.


So, that's part of my list. What are you grateful for? All reasons are acceptable, from the most mundane to the most ridiculous.

3 comments:

  1. Lots of reasons to be grateful! My reflective vest is Amphipod brand. You can get them off Amazon for pretty cheap and it's the best vest out there! If you're looking for lights too, road ID has some great ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amylee, for the prompt response! I'll be sure to check those out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting things in perspective for all of us! It's true, we mostly are blessed to be able to run, even if we are in pain or it's hot or we don't want to. Way to stay positive and get out there and do it!

    ReplyDelete